Saturday 22 October 2011

7-20 October 2011: Weeks 2 and 3 in Rishikesh



Wow. I'm already halfway done with yoga camp. Classes are getting more difficult and the asanas more advanced. I'm making steady progress in my practice and am starting to attain poses that I previously considered inaccessible. I'm gaining strength, balance, and flexibility daily. I still have a long ways to go--not that there's an ultimate place to "end up"--and plenty of struggles, but I'm satisfied with the growth. I get super frustrated with a pose and then as soon as I stop caring, it just starts to happen. I have native flexibility and pretty strong legs from years of hiking, but my upper body is (was?) fairly weak. It feels good to correct that. I'm also gaining a lot more general body awareness. I feel fantastic physically.

Brief rundown and highlights of the last 10 days or so:

2 early morning dunks in the Ganga, before sunrise, no less
1 trip to a goddess temple situated on a mountain at the end of a tortuous, single lane road
70 muscles (soon to be) memorized
1 sitar, tabla, Indian flute performance
Near daily photo ops with Indian tourists
40 Oms a day, minimum
Countless cups of chai (I'm developing a sugar addiction...):
7 chakras meticulously drawn and colored 
1 reading from a vedic astrologer (I should wear my hair long, I was a dancer in a past life, I will move states and change jobs in the next year, I should teach yoga and become an astrologer, seek self-employment)
1 visit to the now derelict ashram where the Beatles turned on, tuned in, and dropped out


Maharishi's meditation pods
Miscellany:

I just found out that the school doesn't have a fridge! Including staff, they're feeding upwards of 60 people 3 meals a day. Pretty impressive.

I love papaya so much. It reminds me a bit of cantaloupe, which I thought I didn't like, but I'm excited to try it again.

I miss my dog. A lot.


I'm so glad I brought my Chacos. I live in them and have only put on sneakers once. They're a lot sturdier than flip flops while still being convenient to slip on and off. 


Today I raft the Ganges. Afterwards, I'm going to an Ashtanga vinyasa class and then out to dinner.

This is the best way to spend $2 in Rishikesh:


Muesli, yogurt, and tons of fruit

1 comment:

  1. Your muesli, yogurt, and fruit is, and has been for years, my favorite breakfast. Remember when you and Ryan used to help me eat it -- I think we are kindred spirits, Jor, because so much of what you're saying and doing resonates within my soul.
    I love that you're loving what you're doing.

    ReplyDelete